More than 200 refugees who had been heading to the U.S. for resettlement have been told they cannot travel as a result of President Donald Trump’s executive orders that temporarily suspend all immigration of citizens from seven majority-Muslim countries, a Somali refugee and officials said today. The refugees left Dadaab, the world’s largest refugee camp in eastern Kenya, last week but they have been told by the International Organization for Migration that their Monday flights have been cancelled “because of Trump’s orders,” said Suleiman Yusuf, a Somali refugee who is a teacher.
Yusuf said he has been waiting for 10 years to be resettled in the U.S. and his dream now faces an uncertain future. “I was to be resettled in Minnesota. I am a teacher by profession and have been teaching at Dadaab. I was hoping to start a new life in America but we are now stuck going back to Dadaab,” he said. He was a headmaster at a Dadaab school.