No power cuts from April 10

Friday, 5 April 2019

Minister of Power, Energy and Business Development Ravi Karunanayake says that there will be no power cuts from the 10th of April.

He says that the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), the Ministry and himself deeply regret the inconvenience caused to the public over the power cuts. While there won’t be any power cuts after April 10, everyone should use electricity sparingly for the coming 3-4 months until a long-term solution is provided for the issue, the Minister said.

Karunanayake said that they are planning to provide solutions for the prevailing power crisis under 3 stages; short-term, mid-term and long-term. The long-term plan – to look into adding 3000-3500 MW to the National Grid – was presented to Cabinet for approval last week, according to the Minister.