Special police team to probe Rambukkana fracas

A comprehensive and transparent investigation into the clash at Rambukkana has begun by a 20-member special police team headed by the Avissawella SSP Wasantha Kandewatta and consisting of three ASPs, Senior Police Spokesman SDIG Ajith Rohana said.

Addressing a press conference at the Kegalle SSP Office yesterday, the Senior Police Spokesman said all the video and audio recordings of the incident circulated in social media would also be studied by the police team.

He said that the expert opinion of the Government Analyst would be sought, and the Police have requested Court to hold a postmortem inquiry into the body of the individual who was killed during the clash.

K.B.Chaminda Lakshan (42), a resident of Hiriwadunna, was killed and 13 civilians and 20 police officers, including the Kegalle SSP sustained injuries during the clash.

SDIG Ajith Rohana said the duty officers, who were at the site during the clash, reported that they acted according to the provisions in the Police Ordinance, Criminal Procedure Code and the Penal Code (Articles from 88-99) to disperse the people by using force.

He said statements would be recorded from all individuals involved, including those sustained injuries. “All evidence will be presented to the Court. Had the fuel bowser was set on fire, the entire Rambukkana town would have been ruined.

The Police acted to avoid such a situation. The Court will decide whether the Police action was right or wrong. We will abide by its decision and orders,” he said.

Responding to a question by a journalist, the Senior Police Spokesman said that the Police Team will investigate who was responsible for setting the three-wheeler on fire, adding that it was not found at the exact location, but within a 100-metre radius to the site.

He said that one suspect has been arrested in connection with the clash on Tuesday and no police officer had been interdicted over the incident Responding to another question, SDIG Ajith Rohana stated that Chaminda Lakshan, who was killed during the clash, had two High Court cases against him, and that he was ordered to appear before the Police every month.

The Senior Police Spokesman said that special police teams have been deployed in Rambukkana town to maintain law and order and that no decision has been taken on removing the curfew.

He requested the public not to obstruct the fuel distribution activities in the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *